Bone-in pork shoulder or butt roast, 4 - 5 lbs.
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 cup neutral oil, like grapeseed or vegetable
Barbecue sauce, for serving
1. Pat pork dry with paper towels. Combine spices and oil. Coat pork with spices and cover. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
2. Add the roast and a little water or broth to a crockpot or roaster. Cook on low 8 - 10 hours or until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork. Shred and serve with barbecue sauce.
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cans (15 oz. each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) baked beans
2 cans (15 oz. each) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. yellow mustard
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large cast iron skillet, cook the bacon on medium high heat.
3. Remove the bacon and let cool.
4. Drain half the fat, then add the onion to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes, until it starts to caramelize.
5. Add garlic and bell pepper and cook 30 seconds, stirring well.
6. In a large bowl, add the bacon, onions, garlic, and the other ingredients and mix well.
7. Pour the beans into a 9x13 baking pan and bake, covered with foil, 1 hour.
8. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
6 T. butter, melted and cooled
1.5 c. masa flour
1/2 c. flour (can use gluten-free)
2 T. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. whole milk
1/4 c. maple syrup or honey
2 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix milk, maple syrup, and eggs. Add other ingredients and mix until smooth.
3. Scoop into greased muffin tins using a small cookie scoop or spoon. Bake about 12 minutes.
Nancy's Lemon Bars
Shortbread Crust Ingredients
1 c. flour (can use gluten-free)
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
Lemon Layer Ingredients
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 cup sugar
2 T. flour (can use gluten-free)
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 T. grated lemon zest
1 tsp. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8x8 pan.
2. Place 1 cup flour and butter in bowl and mash until thoroughly combined. Mix in 1/4 cup powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt; mix until looks like cookie dough.
3. Moisten your fingers with a little water and press dough into bottom of dish. Use a fork to prick holes all over crust.
4. Bake crust on center rack until edges are golden brown, about 22 minutes.
5. Beat eggs and egg yolk together in bowl. Whisk in sugar and 2 T. flour until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix 2 minutes. Pour over crust.
6. Bake on center rack until custard is set, about 25 minutes.
7. Cool before cutting. Dip knife in very hot water to cut. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.